Search squid archive

Re: cache manager access

cc wrote:
Hi,

I have "Squid: The Definitive guide" and have installed
v2.6STABLE 16 installed.

I'm *quite* confused as to how to access the cache-manager.
The book has the following:
   Cache Host: localhost
   Cache Port: 3128
   Manager Name:
   Password:

<continue>

Whereas the new version has:

   Cache Server: localhost:3128
   Cache Host:
   Cache Port:
   Manager Name:
   Password:

<continue>

What is the difference between Cache Server and Cache
host?

The cachemgr.cgi included with 2.6 has its own config file (cachemgr.conf, stored in the same directory as the squid.conf file). In this config file you can specify which Squid caches the CGI is allowed to query. If you want the functionality of the old version, a cachemgr.conf containing the string *:* (asterix colon asterix) will give you the option of specifying the host and port.

Anyway,  I've set the Cache Server to the server which
has Squid running.  Cache host the same value.  Port
3128.

I enter the manager name, and then the password.

I click Continue.

I'm then given the following page:

Security Hazard
   Access to cache_object://system/ is not permitted.

Due to security issues, access to this site has been reevoked
until further notice.

Your cache administrator is the webmaster.

I don't remember the last time I tried doing this,
but I do recall also having trouble figuring this out.
But I don't recall having this security hazard message
shown.

According to the squid.conf, I have:

http_access allow manager localhost
http_access allow manager admin_sys
http_access allow manager system
http_access deny manager !admin_sys !system

Am I missing something else?

Any help appreciated.

Ed

Chris