Search squid archive

Re: trying to use cache_peer (I think?)

Chris Robertson wrote:
B. Cook wrote:
Hello All,

I'm sure this will work if I can get it to.. (until I run into the next snag).

Here at the school we get free Road Runner cable access (about 2mb down). What I wanted to do is put an ipcop machine with something called updatexlrator. basically it caches the windows updates and apple and adobe updates on a seperate disk..

(I'm not asking for help with that part.. )

I'm trying to ONLY send requests for .apple.com and .microsoft.com (etc..) to this machine (which is running squid 2.6.stable19)

assuming I have everything correct on the ipcop machine..

what am I missing in my squid config to tell it to go there?

I currently have this:

cache_peer 192.168.10.1 parent 800 3130 default no-query

Peers (even parents) are not used by default on content that is not likely cacheable. If you want to send ALL traffic to the parent...

never_direct allow all

But ... since you are only wanting certain sites to go there yo may need:

acl sendToPeer dstdomain .microsoft.com .apple.com
never_direct allow sendToPeer

Be sure that machine itself is either not going through the squid itself, or is bypassed in the squid.conf, or you will get loops.

...will do it. See the FAQ (especially http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ConfiguringSquid#head-f7c4c667d4154ec5a9619044ef7d8ab94dfda39b) for more details.

and I think that would forward all requests to this 10.1 proxy on port 800

but that doesn't seem to be happening..

any clues?

thanks in advance,

Chris