Search squid archive

Re: hope squid provide development API

J. Peng wrote:
On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 6:18 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 08, 2008, J. Peng wrote:
 > I use Apache's development API often (both C's and modperl's), they
 > are very convenient to customize the special features.
 > I hope squid also provide this feature in future, that will be helpful
 > to us.Thanks.

 .. which development API?

like, rewrite the uri based on the request headers.

mod_rewrite? The same mod_rewrite whose documentation starts off with these two very telling quotes?

``The great thing about mod_rewrite is it gives you all the configurability and flexibility of Sendmail. The downside to mod_rewrite is that it gives you all the configurability and flexibility of Sendmail.''

    -- Brian Behlendorf
    Apache Group

`` Despite the tons of examples and docs, mod_rewrite is voodoo. Damned cool voodoo, but still voodoo.''

    -- Brian Moore
    bem@xxxxxxxxxxxx

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/rewrite/

Yes, Squid certainly needs some URL rewriting, and Adrian has done some great work in this area. But I guessing the last thing they need is to imitate a module that even it's developers don't understand well.

Atamido
- who was impressed when Apache httpd devs were able to get a few lines of mod_rewrite settings to work for him after they spent a few days brainstorming.