Search squid archive

Re: Squid on DualxQuad Core 8GB Rams - Optimization - Performance - Large Scale - IP Spoofing

Adrian Chadd wrote:
Out of curiousity, how many Squid servers do you have deployed out there?

Adrian

We've got 8 in total, currently.  I'll preempt you asking for specs:

4 are:

Supermicro 1u with Dual Core Xeon 5148 2.33Ghz, 4gb DDR2, 4 x 400gb 7200rpm disks in hardware raid 1+0.

These guys proved to be too slow; they start hitting I/O overloads at around 100-150 requests/sec, so I got:

Poweredge 1950s with one Quad Core Xeon L5310 1.6Ghz, 8gb FB-DIMM, 4 x 73gb 15krpm SAS drives in hardware raid 1+0.

I haven't actually been able to hit the performance limits of these machines yet; I capped out at a kernel limit around 400 requests/sec. Interestingly, these guys only cost $200 more than the poor spec SM machines.

The squid cluster is set up to only talk to origin servers, and they don't have a sibling relationship; I found that the 1-2 second overhead for query/fetch from siblings was impeeding performance... and screwing up my graphs with leaps to 2000msec from the usual 10msec response time. In front of the squids, we have lvs + perlbal, depending on the domain being accessed. I should also mention that they're in use as a reverse caching proxy.

--
Tony Dodd, Systems Administrator

Last.fm | http://www.last.fm
Karen House 1-11 Baches Street