Search squid archive

Re: Squid automatic startup issues

JSiergiej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I am running squid 2.6 on a RedHat Enterprise box in my DMZ.   If point my
public addresses to secondary non-routable IP addresses on the NIC of the
Linux box via ACL's on my firewall.  From there, requests are filtered into
my internal web servers in regards to the non-routable IP the request is
coming from.

I have having an issue where my squid reverse proxy will only function
correctly if I open a terminal window and start the squid process with
/usr/local/squid/sbin/squid -NCd1.    My webpages will work correctly from
this point on and I notice it starts with only one process id when I do it
this way.

Hmmm... If I'm not mistaken, RHEL installs the squid binary by default as /usr/sbin/squid. I'd be willing to bet that's the version that the startup script is utilizing. That Squid was compiled to use a different conf file (/etc/squid/squid.conf). I imagine that it's logging to /var/log/squid/*.log.

So, you have three choices.  From simplest to most complex...

1) Disable the Squid service from starting ("chkconfig squid off" on the command line is one method). Then edit /etc/rc.local and add the "/usr/local/squid/sbin/squid -NCd1" (without quotes) as the last line. This will start your new Squid with the server. 2) Edit /etc/init.d/squid, and replace every instance of /usr/sbin/squid with /usr/local/squid/sbin/squid. This should use the native startup script to manage the new Squid. 3a) Recompile Squid from source to replace the RPM version. Run /usr/sbin/squid -v to get the compilation options of the RPM version (the list will be long, and will have some repeated arguments). Pay close attention to the last instance of any *dir options (bindir, sbindir libexecdir, etc). Recompile Squid with the options you selected feel beneficial, and the *dir options from the RPM.
3b) Grab the Fedora 6 SRPM (squid-2.6.STABLE9-1.fc6.src.rpm) and build it.

However, if I use the actual squid service in the System Tools instead of
using the command line, I see that it always starts with 2 process ids and
my webpages will not work.  I get page not found and no traffic shows up in
my access.log file.
I need this service to start automatically and function because the Linux
box is rebooted after hours once every week.  It rebooted last night and I
came in this morning to find that the websites were down so I ran the squid
startup command manually and everything returned to normal.  I tried using
the squid service itself, which started normally even on reboot, but the
websites would not work until I shut off the squid service and ran the
startup command normally.

If there are any ideas as to how I can resolve this issue and have squid
startup automatically, I would appreciate the help.  I am not an expert at
Linux so please feel free to explain things in a more detailed manner if
need be.

Hopefully the options outlined above are clear enough. If not, feel free to ask more questions.

Thanks in advance,

Jack Siergiej, MCSA

Chris