Search squid archive

Re: Help with kids squid proxy

King, John (Greg) (LMIT-HOU) wrote:
I used some spare parts and installed ipcop on a pc to act as my kids
connection to the world. Squid 2.5stable14 is packaged with ipcop and I
set it up as a transparent proxy and then blocked everything but
outbound 80/443 and then restricted the web-traffic to a whitelist of
sites we will let them go to.

Our school system is providing access to a tool called netTrekker which
is like a google'fied whitelist. The problem is that Nettrekker is not a
proxy. It provides links back when searching for various research data.

I would like to be able to create a rule that allows my kids to trust
pages from the netTrekker.com service without needing to whitelist their
entire directory.

The only way I can think of doing this is an acl that would check the
referer and if it is from netTrekker.com allow the actual link that was
refered.

The biggest problem with this would be that once the initial link has been followed from NetTrekker, all the elements (images, CSS, javascript, etc). of the referenced page would have a referrer of that page. Since HTTP is a stateless protocol, there would be no way to stipulate "the initial request for this page has to have nettrekker.com as a referrer, but allow all the images and pages that this page links to."

I checked the squid book, the wiki and some google searches on "squid
acl referer" but only found data on the referer logs and
acl
    New acl types
* referer_regex (match Referer headers),

But no examples to see how to set this up. Anyone have some examples?

It would certainly be possible to block/allow based on referrer (using external_acl_type), but I really don't think that it would improve your situation much.

Thanks

Greg

Chris