Search squid archive

Re: squid -> squidGuard: Redirect_children best practice?

Dave Mullen wrote:
I did play around with that squidGuard -C all command before.  I ran into an
issue where it would finish and shutdown all the squidGuard processes when it
completed, or so I was led to believe in the log.  I'm sure it was some odd
timing issue where I had multiple processes starting before it actually
completed.
How does one schedule that?  The -C all command, do you run that before squid
starts as a differeint init script?  Also, if you have them prebuilt, how do
you 'rebuild' them again and not take down all the squidGuard proccesses?

Sorry for delay replying.

Once you've done a "squidGuard -C all" once you should find that squid and squidguard start very quickly and you will be able to configure for many squidguard processes (I use 10 but you may need more) and squid will probably still start and/or restart quickly enough that loss of service is not a problem.

When you change your blacklists etc you just do "squidGuard -C all" and then runs without interfering with the running squid and then when it has finished "-C"ing do "squid -k reconfigure" to restart squid with the new blacklists.

--

Brian Gregory.
brian.gregory05@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Computer Room Volunteer.