Search squid archive

Re: Squid-2.6.STABLE2: "Not our vary marker object"

On 04 Aug 2006, at 10:57 , Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

fre 2006-08-04 klockan 09:02 -0700 skrev m.c.crockett@xxxxxxxxxxxx:

2006/08/04 08:09:59| storeLocateVary: Not our vary marker object,
575BCD87CBA91ABA3A8E45C504D1F55B =
'http://stb.msn.com/i/8A/24BC8A51321CAF6CCA6C4DBD4F9.gif',
'accept-encoding'/'-'

What is the significance of this message?  Does it simply mean that
there is another web proxy in the path that didn't preserve the
original Vary data?

It says something strange happened with Vary on that object. It's more
of an internal debug message undicating an unexpected turn of things,
but harmless otherwise (falls back on cache miss). Should not be seen
frequently.

If you see the message frequently please file a bug report as it may
indicate there is still some corner case in the Vary processing.

It appears to be fairly consistent; however, it only occurs with two MSN.COM sites: The one shown above (STB.MSN.COM) and a second site HP.MSN.COM.

It occurs on both of my Squid servers. Both were upgraded from Squid-2.5.STABLE6 to Squid-2.6.STABLE2 yesterday; however, one was started with a new cache directories while the second was started with the existing cache directories.

The "Not our vary marker object" log entry occurs more frequently in the second server. I think this may be more a function of Window's default enableWebProxyCache setting than an issue with Squid.

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett@xxxxxxxxxxxx