Search squid archive

file descriptor problem

Hi,
  Squid generates the following warning on cache.log file:
WARNING! your cache is running out of filedescriptors.

I know that there is no available FD for squid but I couldn't solve it
yet. I have tried the methods mentioned in squid archive to increase
FD number but nothing changed.

I have added ;
 *               soft   nofile           8192
 *               hard    nofile         65535

lines into the /etc/security/limits.conf file then I have issued
"ulimit -HSn 8192"
to increase the per process file descriptor limit but squid still says
that there is 1024 file descriptor available at startup.
  Concurrent connections vary between 1000 and 3500 . Machine is an
SMP system with two 3.2GHZ Xeon , 4GB RAM and scsi raid but its
response is really low under
2000 concurrent connection.
  Currently I dont have any chance to re-compile squid. This FD
problem may cause this slow response time right?  What do you
recommend to me in this case?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards.