Search squid archive

Re: cache storage problem? (squid 3)

On 5/25/06, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I hope you noticed that squid3 is still in development...

Yeah :) I've been playing with it for a while. When I encounter
problems, it's sometimes hard to figure out if it's a problem with
squid 3 or squid in general. I mainly wanted to see if anyone else
encountered the same type of problem.

> On 5/24/06, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Note that cache_memory is only used for newly fetched objects, not for those
fetched from cache. I'd say this is kind of waste.

I thought cache_memory was used for 'hot' objects. I'm currently using
"heap LFUDA" as my memory_replacement_policy.

It's a pretty waste of space, I'd say. for 60GB drives, I'd use size 40000
also, 128 L1 dirs is too much for 2GB cache_dirs, I have 64 on 30GB
cache_dirs (but this should  not cause any problem)

Yeah. I'm aware that there's loads of unused space. Performance seems
to improve (if slightly) when I have the cache_dir memory low. I've
looked at the FAQ and know that I _should_ be able to use more. Right
now I'm mainly trying to get a basic working configuration that I can
start from. I'd like to be using more cache_mem too, but I've
decreased it for the same reason.

I'll fix the L1 dirs at least, even though it probably doesn't mean much.

this may be an IRQ conflict, or bad drivers for SCSI/net card.

I doubt it, but I'll test on another system to see if the problem persists...

what sizes are those objects of?

Most are between 5-10k in size.

> >> The occurrence of these error messages correlate with a large jump in
> >> CPU usage by squid. Is there a known reason for this?

May be caused by the fact squid searches for valid cache_dir

I'm starting to believe the same thing.

--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@xxxxxxxxxxx ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

--
Dan Thomson
Systems Engineer