Search squid archive

Re: cache storage problem? (squid 3)

Here's my settings:

cache_mem 1 GB

cache_dir diskd /var/spool/squid/1 2000 128 256
cache_dir diskd /var/spool/squid/2 2000 128 256

Each cache dir is a partition on a SCSI drive (each on separate
drives). The partitions are 60 gig. The system also has 3 gig of RAM.

It also seems as though the network traffic decreases greatly whenever
objects are written to disk cache.

On 5/24/06, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 23.05.06 12:08, Dan Thomson wrote:
> Whenever I run squid, it seems to run fine until the cache memory
> becomes full. Once this happens, squid slows down to the point of
> becoming unusable.

you probably have cache_mem or cache_dir sizes too big.
check out SQUID FAQ, especially the memory part:
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-8.html
and disk cache size recommendation:
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-4.html#ss4.14

> I decided to check the storage manager logs to see what was going on
> when the memory becomes full, and I see a lot of "no valid swapdirs
> for this object" error messages. The occurrence of these error
> messages correlate with a large jump in CPU usage by squid. Is there a
> known reason for this?

what cache_dirs you have configured now?
--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@xxxxxxxxxxx ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

--