Search squid archive

Re: squid Make; bug in Makefile?

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
The perl scripts have recently been replaced by awk in Squid-3, but I
forgot to make the awk scripts included in the tar ball (available in
CVS however).

Regards
Henrik
---
	Funny -- I had gone through a little story in my head about how
the perl scripts were likely newer and the awk scripts were left over -- how
I actually remember using awk back before perl was around and how a switch
to perl was likely done to make the code easier to maintain as more people know
perl than an arcane utility like awk.  :-)

Now I find it's just the opposite and go through the opposite rationalization -- that moving to awk creates a smaller software requirement for someone wanting to build squid (presuming they don't need to modify it). I don't know that I can do as good a job rationalizing the choice for a switch to awk though. Even though awk may be a smaller footprint for generation (build), I not sure that benefit would outweigh the decrease in # of people who would know how to modify it. ??

	One "could" make a similar argument for using "C" vs. "C++", as "C" is
a 'lower common denominator" in terms of software tools and developer knowledge,
though such a change would affect alot more than "2" scripts. :-)

I tried looking, BTW, for a pointer to the CVS sources, but wasn't able to readily find a pointer to the CVS sources from the main site (and didn't know about the "devel" site until after I'd started looking through the sources from the tarball)... Maybe I should try fixing that problem before looking too
deeply at other problem(s) I ran into...

Linda