Search squid archive

Re: wrong diskspace count and assertion failed: diskd/store_dir_diskd.c:1930: "buf"

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, H wrote:

let's see if I understand what you say here, you say that if either q1 or q2
is set to a high enough value to use all 96 buffers  the assertion failes

Correct.

and otherwise the msgs ar hold when reaching the q1 or q2 value and assertion
do not fail?

Correct.

As long as the q1/q2 values are configured within reasonable limits Squid should work fine (or at least not fail with this assert).

There has not been any effort to address this as a I/O queue of 96 is way more than sufficient to fully saturate most I/O systems around.

even so, I mean even if the error msg really is saying what you tell us here I
can not accept that squid ***crashes*** then for that and empties the cache
dirs then

You are more than welcome to submit a patch for this.

I am quite buzy on other items, and as I am mainly a Linux user diskd is not high on my priorities.

Squid is a community effort.

If this error really means no buffers left then diskd processess should crash
also and ever when the msgs are busy

Well, the diskd processes gets restarted when Squid is.

- but in this case squid gets it right and fails only for this particular transaction and can go on with diskIO soon the msgqueues are free

Makes no sense to me that for buffers beeing out the diskspace count goes
wrong but if so it is really necessary to check and repair this particular
thing and for me this is a very serious bug

Indeed. The disk usage indication should not go wrong, but Squid can get quite confused if it gets restarted while rebuilding the swap.state index.

This is a separate issue from the diskd I/O queue limits, but can be triggered by the diskd assertion.

since this happens independent of usage, means it happens on low traffic
(<1000Kbit/s) and heavier (2-4MB/s) and also on heavy servers with 15-20MB/s
after a certain time and not under a certain charge I like to discard "buffer
out" - for me here is a leak somewhere which cause the problem, temporary
buffer out I can no state on my system when monitoring this particular event.

Could be.

Obvious I should have more request on a heavy server so the problem should
happen here more but it does not. So if your answer is it then I should get
some relevant numbers with ipcs -o|a but the system is clear. Or is there
something else?

The I/O queue limitation is purely internal to Squid, and gets cleared when Suqid is restarted (either manually or automatic on crash)

Regards
Henrik