Search squid archive

Re: Cache_access_log for Squid 2.5STABLE6 unable to write to /dev/stdout

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, marlowe wrote:

I am not sure I understand why the squid user is unable to write to STDOUT. I don't believe it can be the permissions on STDOUT since an addition of write permissions for other did not allow it. I would appreciate some ideas on why squid isn't able to write to STDOUT.

Not entirely sure myself, but perhaps your cache_effective_user does not have permissions for some strange reason. Looking. Right. Linux denies access to /proc/self/fd/ for processes who have assumed another userid. No easy way around this I am afraid.

On systems where /dev/stdout is a real device node for duplicating the current stdout this problem would not occur. Only on systems like Linux who symlins into a procfs or similar.

Regards
Henrik