Search squid archive

Re: Cache_access_log for Squid 2.5STABLE6 unable to write to /dev/stdout

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, marlowe wrote:

I set the write bit for other in the /dev/ directory. The permissions on /dev read

You should not do this. Very risky thing to do.

I also set the write bit for other for /dev/stdout. On CentOS 4.1, /dev/stdout is a symlink for /proc/self/fd/1 which is in turn a symlink for /dev/pts/0. The permissions on /dev/pts/0 are as follows

crw--w-w-    1 marlowe tty 136, 0 Sep 20 16:51 /dev/pts/0

It is my understand that with these other write permissions in place, the user squid should be able to write to /dev/stdout. However when I attempt to start squid, I still receive the same error message. I tried to run my start script from the CLI and received the same error messages. What else should I be looking at?

Are you starting Squid as yourself, or as root? I only tried as myself.

Additionally it may be worth upgrading. I have only tried this with 2.5.STABLE11. Running a somewhat recent version is recommended anyway..

REgards
Henrik