Search squid archive

connection failed error

I am helping a friend who has a new squid install with a basic squid.conf.
While trying to login to hotmail with the following url:

https://loginnet.passport.com/ppsecure/post.srf?, etc...

I get the hotmail login box, but upon submission it returns a squid error
page:

While trying to retrieve the URL: loginnet.passport.com:443
The following error was encountered:
Connection Failed
The system returned:
    (111) Connection refused

What do I need to change to get this to work properly?

Raymond