Search squid archive

Re: File descriptors

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Sam Reynolds wrote:

What is the maximum number of File descriptors that you can have?

Depends on your OS.

The default is 1024.

Is there a correlation between the number of File Descriptors and RAM?

YEs, but even more so between file descriptors and CPU usage.

At what point does increasing the number of File Descriptors become a problem?

Mainly when CPU starts becoming a bottleneck.

I am at 8192 File Descriptors, but am still running out, so I am moving to 16,000 next.  I just need to know the ramifications of what I am doing.

Quite likely you have some other problem with the filedescriptor problem only being a side effect. 8K filedescriptors is well more than plenty for any Squid I have seen.

How many clients do you have on this proxy?

Try

  half_closed_clients off
  quick_abort_min 0
  quick_abort_max 0
  pipeline_prefetch off

And what cache_dir type are you using, on how many drives?

Is there any swap activity on your server?

Regards
Henrik