Search squid archive

File descriptors

What is the maximum number of File descriptors that you can have?

Is there a correlation between the number of File Descriptors and RAM?

At what point does increasing the number of File Descriptors become a problem?

I am at 8192 File Descriptors, but am still running out, so I am moving to 16,000 next.  I just need to know the ramifications of what I am doing.

Thanks

Sam