Search squid archive

Re: [squid-users] Squid-cache using <1/4th cache size

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Linda W wrote:

Hmm...  I am guessing it bases directory usage to minimize file-lookup
time based on the number of items in the cache not (i.e. not size
of items),

yes, sort of. The L2 value of 256 is selected to give reasonably sized directories which should have good lookup times and filesystem cache hit ratios on most systems.

and, I may have had large items in my cache so I reached the
cache's space limit before it needed to use more level-1 dirs?

May be the case.

There is three condiditons for items to be deleted from the cache:

  1. Replaced by a newer object for the same URL

2. Removed by the removal policy to make room for new objects when the cache is full.

  3. Expired and not used in quite a while.

Regards
Henrik