Search squid archive

Re: [squid-users] Squid-cache using <1/4th cache size

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Linda W wrote:

So 1) is it a bug that squid -z ignores the number of dirs in a
cache line?

Works here.

2) Shouldn't object distribution, in the cache, be roughly equal in all
"buckets"?  I can see from the above, a bell curve with 8-11 files/dir
being the most common -- except for the 1748 dirs that are unused?

No. Squid only fills as many directories as it needs for the cache size.

3) Any ideas on why I'm seeing so little %full in the cache -- shouldn't
it be filling up to near the cache limit?

No. You should have as many files in the cache as Squid reports on shutdown/startup.

4) Any ideas why I'm not seeing a "flatter" directory usage curve?

No.

5) Of particular interest: why do I only have about 4700 files when
the cache dump indicates over 200K entries?

No idea. These should match.

I would expect ~ 200K items in a cache

Me too.

6) Of note:the refresh in absence of a expiration time is:
refresh_pattern .               0       20%     4320

Yes.

But, as I understand it, the refresh only governs whether or not squid should recheck the last-modified date/time stamp for an object (in absence of a browser asking for "no-cache"/reload). So if items are not changed, they should stay in the cache until it fills up it's quota, at which time the replacement algorithm is used to delete old pages (as per the replacement policy).

Correct.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

As something is obviously wrong here I would recommend you to remove the cache completely and recreate it with "squid -z".