Search squid archive

RE: [squid-users] Transparent Proxy without being inline?

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, John Cole wrote:

I'm not as interested in blocking as I am in reporting.

If you only want reporting of who goes where when then sniffing the traffic with a URL sniffer will quite likely do fine.

Some interesting sniffers for looking at web traffic flying by:

ntop - lots of graphs, usage reports etc in general about the IP traffic seen.
<url:http://www.ntop.org>

driftnet - show the images or MPEGs is being viewed by your users right now
<url:http://www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/driftnet/>

  dsniff - What urls, files emails etc is being seen on the wire?
  <url:http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/dsniff/>

  ngrep - grep on your network traffic
  <url:http://ngrep.sourceforge.net/>

  ssldump - analyze (and decode if yours) SSL traffic

This is just a small collection of the sniffing tools I have found useful over the years, apart from the pure packet sniffers like tcpdump or ethereal. A more comprehensive list can be found here: <url:http://www.stearns.org/doc/pcap-apps.html>

Regards
Henrik