Search squid archive

Re: [squid-users] Re: Squid Server IP is forwarded with the users mail instead of his own IP

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Joost de Heer wrote:

We have observed that when emails  are sent by our users through
Yahoo, Hotmail or other web-based mailing service the Originating IP
in their mail headers is that of the caching server on which Squid is
running. This makes it impossible for us to trace the originator of
that mail though the users have a live ip (as you would know tracing
the originator of the mail becomes necessary if the sender of email
has played any pranks or done anything illegal).

Hotmail only sees the proxy-IP address, not the IP address of the client. If you want to find out who sent the Hotmail-mail, check the logs of Squid.

Hotmal could in theory include its message headers the contents of the X-Forwarded-For HTTP header added by Squid and many other proxies to make this easier.. (only works for http://, not https://)

Regards
Henrik