Search squid archive

Re: [squid-users] Squid, virtual IP and Layer 7 switching...any idea?

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Marco Crucianelli wrote:

Well, maybe I was not that clear in my explanation (my english fault! :

I do think I understood your question proper.

If you are using a layer 7 switch then there is NO specific changes needed to squid.conf to make things work proper. Just configure each Squid server as you would normally configure this Squid server.

something like this! That's why I was asking if I should modify
udp_incoming_address and udp_outgoing_address!

You should not.

But I have another doubt too: those two directives (udp_incoming_address
and udp_outgoing_address) change the ip address that squid uses to make
ICP queries, what happens after squid has queried using ICP, I mean,
what address does it use to retrieve the content it needs from the
parent_squid?

Normally the IP address of the server where it runs, which in nearly all cases is what you want.

Does it use the virtual IP address or the real one?

This is up to your OS configuration, but in nearly all cases involving layer 7 switches the OS will never use the virtual IP for anything except accepting traffic via the layer 7 switch, and this is what you want.

You can ask squid to hint to the OS what address to use by the tcp_outgoing_address directive, but you should only use this if your situation requires you to. Only the fact that you use a layer 7 switch practically never requires you to use this directive.

Regards
Henrik