Re: [EXTERN] Re: High delay of video-streams

Frediano

Il giorno mar 2 apr 2024 alle ore 15:27 Michael Scherle
<michael.scherle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:

> Hi Frediano,
>
> thank you very much for your detailed answer.
>

> On 02.04.24 14:13, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
>
> > Really short explanation: Lipsync.
> >
> > Less cryptic explanation: video streaming was added much time ago when
> > desktops used 2D graphic drawings, like lines, fillings, strings and
> > so on. At that time networks were more unreliable, latency bigger, and
> > with high probability a continuous bitblt on the same big area was a
> > video playing. So the idea of detecting the video playing and
> > optimizing to sync audio and video was a good idea.
>
> ok this explains a lot.
>
> > Now starts my opinionated ideas. The idea of continuous bitblt being
> > only a video stream is wrong, nowadays desktops do use large bitblt
> > for everything, or better they use 3D cards a lot and compose the
> > various windows on the screen which appears to us as just bitblt,
> > often contiguous. So the delay should just be removed optimizing for
> > real time video streaming. As you realize the algorithm also keeps
> > increasing the delay for every glitch found which is not improving the
> > user experience. I have different changesets removing entirely all
> > these delays (it's possible to get this just by changing the server
> > part), the result is much less delay, the audio/video sync (watching a
> > movie) is, with nowadays networks, acceptable.
>

> Would it be possible to get your changesets, so that I could try them
> out? I would be interested to know how this can be implemented with only
> server-side changes. A dirty idea I had (and tried) would be to set the
> mm_time to the past so that the client displays the image immediately,
> but that would not be a good fix in my opinion.

That's the commit
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~fziglio/spice-server/commit/?h=nvidia&id=eaaec7be80a9d402f425f7571bb27a082ebf739a.

> I would rather consider it reasonable that the server timestamps the
> frames (and perhaps the sound) with the encoding time and that the
> client itself calculates when it wants to display them (from the diffs).
> So the client could decide if it wants to display the images directly or
> add some delay to compensate for network jitter (or lipsync) or maybe
> even implement something like v-sync. These would of course be breaking
> changes that would require changes to the client and server and would
> make them incompatible with older versions. If this could not be done
> directly, due to compatibility reasons, maybe this could be implemented
> in a separate low latency mode or something like that (which both server
> and client needs to support).

I suppose the negative time you though is something like
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~fziglio/spice-server/commit/?h=nvidia&id=4a1a2a20505bc453f30573a0d453a9dfa1d97e7c
(which improve the previous).

> Even with above ideas applied, for spice-gtk, I have noticed a high
> decode delay. The gstreamer pipeline always seems to keep at least 2
> frames in the pipeline (regardless of the frame rate) which increases
> the delay further. Have you also noticed this? I'm currently looking
> into the reason for this.
>
> When testing stuff out we saw that Sunshine/Moonlight performed very
> well in generating  a low delay and high QoE. That is kind of our
> benchmark for remote access to strive for :)
>
> Greetings
> Michael

Frediano

> >> Greetings
> >> Michael

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Virtualization]     [Linux Virtualization]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [Monitors]