Re: High delay of video-streams

Hello spice developers,

I looked further and found the function get_min_playback_delay( https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/spice/spice/-/blob/fe1c25f530b95d32cc81bc1a395d80ace631d2dd/server/gstreamer-encoder.c#L507) which calculates the delay I was looking for. However, some of the calculations do not make sense to me. net_latency + get_average_encoding_time seems to be reasonable. However send_time seems strange to me. I assume that this is to calculate how long a large (I frame) and a normal frame is encoded. I think that this calculation is not optimal, the more so as the average encoding time has already been added and the gstreamer target bitrate is not accurate (especially for variable bitrates) which makes the calculations less accurate.

As a result, the delay is unnecessarily increased, if the image size changes rapidly in a short period of time, e.g. due to rapidly changing image content. Which would also work without a delay increase. Also the decoding time of the client is not taken into account here. I'm also not sure how useful it is, to calculate the display delay for the client on the server. But perhaps I have been mistaken and you can enlighten me.