Re: Discuss about camera redirection in SPICE

On 1/14/22 8:51 PM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
   Hi,

Although USB redirection has already provided a solution to use a remote
webcam, I notice that it uses a heavy network(1280*720@30FPS in MJPEG uses
5MB/s+). I have tested several webcam, and all of them don't support h264.
So I'd like to develop camera redirection in SPICE with h264 support, and
expect to reduce the network bandwidth(300K/s may be enough).

Well, one option would be to add usb webcam emulation to the spice client,
simliar to cdrom redirection (which emulates an usb cdrom drive under
the hood).  Advantage: works without spice protocol changes as you can
simply tunnel everything through the usb redirection protocol.

I'd also recommend to look for another video codec (if possible, not
sure what the usb webcam spec allows).  H.264 is a patent minefield,
which makes it rather difficult to use in open source projects.  You'll
end up with a lot of legal problems when it comes to software
distribution.  vp8/9 would be a much better choice.

take care,
   Gerd

Hi,

Camera redirection through the USB redirection protocol seems feasible. But I have several concerns: 1, UVC started to support H.264 and VP8 since version 1.5, old version OS has no support(Link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_video_device_class).

2, Even guest side supports UVC 1.5, the camera App still has a chance to select which format to use. We can control this from hypervisor side.

3, I noticed that USB emulation uses a lot of CPU, so I also have a plan to introduce virtio camera to reduce the CPU utilization. If we use this solution, it's difficult to do the extension in the future.

So from the point of my view, I prefer a common camera redirection protocol(event a hard work to do, but I can support it for a long time).

I will follow your opinion of the video codec to avoid the legal problems, thanks!

--
zhenwei pi

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Virtualization]     [Linux Virtualization]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [Monitors]