Re: Offload pixel encoding via Virgil

Thank you Victor, I had the impression the OpenGL implementation was complete for Windows OS.
I guess then the question in general, will the spice codec use opengl acceleration, if available, to reduce CPU overhead when rendering 2D only full screen refreshes?

On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 1:48 AM Victor Toso <victortoso@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 05:15:01PM -0700, Benjamin Kingston wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to increase guest density by offloading the
> pixel codec in the guests to a common onboard GPU?
>
> In other words, does the Spice Agent, particularly in Windows
> 10, leverage OpenGL or other Virgil features to reduce CPU load
> when full screen refreshing is taking place?
>
> Thanks,
I think there is a bit of confusion. Virgl support is about using a virtual card
(VirtIO-vga) supporting 3D making possible to use host capabilities for 3D rendering.
Does not only help for "full screen refreshing".
The spice agent, either standard one (vdagent) and streaming one are not involved in this
acceleration. The vdagent is not involved at all during rendering and is there to manage
clipboard, copy&paste, mouse, screen resize and other stuff. The streaming agent is
intended to be used in pass-through/vGPU cases where the physical GPU (pass-through)
or part of it (vGPU) is assigned to the guest (the VM).

Is not clear what you mean with "pixel encoding".

Virgl on Windows is not a thing yet, AFAIK.

* 'Future scope' at
  - https://virgil3d.github.io/

* GSOC 2017
  - https://gist.github.com/Keenuts/199184f9a6d7a68d9a62cf0011147c0b

Depending on your configs, you could try Looking Glass for now.

https://github.com/gnif/LookingGlass
This project is more about pass-through and possibly vGPU. Similar to our streaming
agent, for the moment limited to the local case (host and client being same machine).

Cheers,
        toso
Frediano