Re: spice-vdagent-win 0.8.0 release

On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 10:07:58AM +0100, Thorsten Kohfeldt wrote:

> > > Nice offer,
> > > but I'm a little confused by that plethora of choices:
> > >
> > > 3 target releases (F23, F24, rawhide), 2 architectures (x86, x64),
> > > each of them providing 2 _Windows_ binaries (vdservice.exe, vdagent.exe) ...
> > > ... which should be equivalent ? ...
> > > ... usable on Win-(any)-x86 AND Win-(any)-x64 ?
> >
> > Yeah, that's a fair point, from my side, I only issued one command and
> > only uploaded a single srpm, but the copr is configured to build on 3
> > different distros. The difference in binary content is expected as they
> > were built against different toolchains (respectively the one which is
> > in each of these distros).
>
> Which is nice if you want to hunt tool chain bugs, but makes support
> an ugly business because of version uncertainties.
> BTW,
> _all_ binaries' details state 'Version 0.5.1.0, copyright RH 2009'.
> Here it would make sense to auto update with the build number, right ?

Now only one build will be made, so no need for that ;)

> > I've disabled all the various builders now and only kept f25 x86-64. For
> > now, I would pick one of the f24 builds.
>
> Bad luck,
> I tested Win10/x86 with the F23/x86 build and the rawhide/x86 build.
>
> Screen resize / auto guest resolution adaption seems to work (depending
> on manual choice of F23 libvirt spice viewer menu settings) as well as
> copy/paste of text guest->host and host->guest.
>
> NO improvement on mouse sluggishness though.

Why "bad luck" ? Seems to be working as expected, I did not expect mouse
slugginess improvements from these builds.

> > > But:
> > > I rpm2cpio-ed them all and those binaries all differ from each other.
> > >
> > > Which pair of (vdservice.exe, vdagent.exe) would make it into the
> > > Win-installer on spice-space ?
>
> Would it be possible to add a post processing step to the build chain(s)
> which rpm2cpio-extracts the 4 relevant binaries (service and agent in x86
> and x64) into a single zip file (or maybe even skip the rpm2cpio but pack
> the binaries directly after they were built),
> so that zip file can be downloaded directly by the Windows guest ?

Not really possible on copr, but yeah would be nicer for users. Though
as far as I'm concerned, final product would be the spice-guest-tools
installer, and iirc it's able to consume these directly.

> > > Or would we even get those released on the next Fedorapeople ISO (where
> > > I currently cannot find them) ?
> >
> > Getting these on virtio-win ISO was discussed a bit, but never moved
> > forward.
>
> I would really love to see that happen, i.e provision of the 4 binaries
> I mentioned above in my rpm2cpio -> zip request (here raw, not zipped).
>
> That would allow to install Win drivers, Ballon Service and Spice VDAgent
> consistently from one source without having to use the sledge hammer
> Spice-Guest-Tools-1.xx.msi (or exe ?) from spice space.
> Spice VDAgent seems to be the one missing set of key binaries on that ISO.

Well, I'd push to have the spice-guest-tools installer on that ISO as
well ;) Though imo it would be best to move towards single-driver .msi
files, plus one installer installing all.

Christophe