Re: gitlab

Hi

----- Original Message -----
> Hi all,
>
> I created a spice group in gitlab [0] mirroring the repository from
> freedesktop which should be updated every hour.
>
> [0] https://gitlab.com/groups/spice
>
> But I would like to discuss the transition to use gitlab for source code
> at some time soon. One of the main reasons is the management for users
> and repos being much easier with no need to file a bug and wait some
> fdo admin to have time to do it.

I was wondering about the motivations. I never thought management of users was a bottleneck. Even if takes a while for fdo admins to react and it can be a bit frustrating, it's a one time thing. It doesn't slow spice dev afaik, any counterexample?

What are the other motivations? I don't know the limitations of gitlab, anything to say about it?

> As pointed by Daniel [1] while discussing the migration of libosinfo to
> gitlab, we would still be under open source infrastructure with good
> self-service API for managing the project plus other benefits.
>
> [1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/libosinfo/2016-March/msg00000.html
>
> The idea is keeping freedesktop and github [2] as a mirror of gitlab
> repos. I'm not sure about moving from bugzilla to the issues thing but I
> guess it might make sense in the future.

Again, please list motivations. BZ works pretty well, no?

> [2] https://github.com/SPICE
>
> The pull requests can be disable int gitlab (while we can't on github)
> but I wonder if should do that?

Can it be setup to notify of new pull requests on spice-devel ML?

> As we are at it, I would suggest to rename:
>
> * linux/vd_agent to spice-vdagent (currently vdagent on gitlab)
> * win32/vd_agent to spice-vdagent-win (currently vdagent-win on gitlab)

I think it makes sense to keep all the windows sources under a win32/win directory (win32/spice-vdagent)