Re: [NSIS 1/2] Allow custom installer filename and displayed name version

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 4:58 PM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 12:35:28PM +0200, Yedidyah Bar David wrote:
>> Allow passing:
>>
>> DISPLAYED_VERSION (defaults to $VERSION): what's written to the
>> registry. This is what is shown to the user e.g. in the control panel.
>>
>> EXE_VERSION (defaults to -$VERSION): appended to installer filename.
>
> Why do we want 2 different versions in addition to $VERSION? Can't the
> same version number be used in the registry and in the installer
> filename?

Currently:

VERSION is 0.103

spice wants the installer to be named spice-guest-tools-0.103.exe and
show in the control panel "version: 0.103"

ovirt wants the installer to be named ovirt-guest-tools-setup.exe and
show in the control panel (for automatic jenkins builds, at least):
"version: 3.6.0-0.2_master.DATE.gitHASH"

All of this was already implemented by all recent versions of the patches
posted here.

I personally liked better the previous version, where make directly set
both the filename(s) and the values written to the registry. I find it
much simpler to see all these things in a single Makefile.

You seem to prefer to keep the Makefile "optional", being able to easily
build the spice installer without it. You clearly said that you see the
relation between them as similar to the relation between an rpm spec file
(which is "private", specific to a specific distribution) and the rest of
a "normal" (autotools-based) project which should be buildable on other
systems/distros. While I do not agree, I might see a sense in this, thus
the current version. With it, you can still build without make, and in
principle can even slightly change the next patch (the one adding Makefile)
to duplicate also VERSION, thus still being able to build without it.

If you want a different implementation please explain clearly how it should
look/work.

Thanks!
--
Didi