Re: [NSIS 8/8] packaging: add Makefile

Hey,

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 11:59:32AM +0300, Yedidyah Bar David wrote:

> >> Not sure it should be part of 'make dist', but I think it will help if we
> >> also have somewhere the git hash inside the tarball/build/iso image/installed
> >> apps. Not sure what's the best place to put this into. To do that we do need
> >> .git .
> >
> > There exists some magic to do this kind of things without needing the
> > .git directory. This is used by spice-gtk for example, make dist on an
> > untagged git commit will generate a tarball whose name contains the git
> > hash, make dist on a tagged git commit will generate a tarball with just
> > the version number.
>
> spice-gtk uses git-version-gen, apparently copied from an older version of
> gnulib [1]. Do we want to copy it from there? Their master branch version?
> It went through some changes there since [1].
>
> There are some non-trivial (to me) things related to copying such things
> around, not sure how much of it is really relevant in such a simple case.
> See e.g. [2], [3] and [4], which means this is currently in a middle of a
> change.

I was not necessarily suggesting using git-version-gen as is, I was
objecting to «  To do that [append the git hash to the tarball], we do need .git ».
Personally, I'd be fine with using git-archive to generate the tarball,
and having a nice error message when trying it from an unpacked tarball.

> Also, do we want a configure script (and autotools)? Or is Makefile enough?

autotools seems quite heavyweight for a one file project.

Christophe