Re: [vdagent-linux 1/2] randr: remove monitors.xml on auto-configuration

On Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 02:04:38PM +0200, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > You make it sound like it's only an issue when running GNOME2. If you
> >

> I already mentionned recent gnome3 auto-config has been merged in (last
> year)  and don't reach the issue (no related code).
>
> tested with gnome-settings-daemon in RHEL6, the relevant (if I looked in
> > the right place!) code seems different from upstream because of a
> > downstream patch.
> >

> You are correct, showing that this part of gsd code doesn't have a clean
> solution and needs various workarounds.
>

> > I also assume it will not be an issue either when
> > monitor configuration is not done through the agent but through
> > qxl/client monitor config?
> >

> What do you mean? Monitor are only enabled through vdagent here.
>

> > If all of that is correct, and given that we don't own monitors.xml, I'd
> > prefer not to have this patch upstream.
> >

> This patch does not harm, we don't want gsd to race with vdagent: vdagent
> should win over for auto-conf/resize to work properly.

gnome2 is obsolete, not using client monitor config is getting obsolete,
and removing a file which we don't own is a very heavy hammer,
especially since this file is used by mutter in GNOME3 as well, so no,
let's not do that upstream.

Christophe