Re: Help with SmartCards and XSpice

And, finally, if that's all right - on to the next question:  where
should spiceccid fit in the XSpice stack?  Should it be part of the Xorg
driver?  Should it be a vd_agent process?

I'm not sure - I was thinking a third part, this time it's a bit more
complicated, basically having a pcscd driver that would only be used by
specific clients (i.e. processes, apps running presumably by the user
controlling the Xspice instance). Usage scenario I guess is:
1. user launches Xspice (via some control interface)
2. user starts smartcard using app (i.e. firefox)
3. firefox connects to smartcard via pcscd, pcscd recognized this is
supposed to go to the spice-ccid driver (to the *specific* one - you
presumably have more then one instance of Xspice with different clients
and hence smartcard hardware/credentials connected). You could use some
environment variable, or perhaps having more then one instance of pcscd
- that would make things simpler at the pcscd level, i.e. it could use a
config file running only one driver, spice-ccid, with the correct unix
domain socket connecting back to Xspice (spiceqxl_drv.so).

Ah, okay, you're ahead of me. I hadn't gotten quite that far yet, but your thought process seems sound to me.

Your thinking seems to suggest you feel the hook should be another fifo out of spiceqxl_drv.so. That would certainly be the easiest approach for me to take, so I have a built in desire to go that way. But I worry about complicating that driver.

Why not route it through the vd_agent?

Cheers,

Jeremy