Help with SmartCards and XSpice

I'm hoping to get some guidance / clue bats / shock and horror in implementing Smart Card support for XSpice clients.

I think I have a tentative, but sufficient grasp of how the Smart Card stuff flows from the client into the server. It's not quite as clear how the server bridges it into qemu, but I think I have the gist of it.

However, that doesn't work for XSpice sessions.

It looks to me that this should be possible. My research suggests that pam_pkcs11 is pluggable, and that it should be possible to write a module that would receive the cert information.

So presuming I have a module hook ready to receive certs, the next question is how to get them there.

The way that 'feels' right to me is to extend the Linux vd_agent to receive the smart card traffic, and so it is then vd_agent that communicates with my hypothetical pam hook.

The alternate would be to put it into the spiceqxl_drv.so. That seems less ideal, but would probably be less code, and wouldn't require messing with the vdagent protocol.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Clue bats?

Thanks,

Jeremy