Re: spice-gtk on MAC OSX

Marc,

----- Original Message -----
It's using the same pixman functions. Even on linux, we currently use it.

In your graph, it is showing 100ms of cumulative time, that's not so
much. Draw alphablend is an expensive function, and it's used
frequently.

Couldn't there be another reason for slowness than purely CPU?

That is what I would like to figure out. But I tested it on a quite late MacMini and on a i5 MacBookPro. Both showed same results.

Is the CPU at 100% when opening IE for 3s?

As soon as I move a window or change a window size on the guest the cpu consumption goes up to about 60% (but 60% of the host dual core ressources).

have you tried with spice-gtk git, which has some performance improvement?

Not until now. My last message was using the spice-gtk 0.21 but now I just built the git version - unfortunately no change.
I made a recording of the rendering issue. Here you may see what I mean:
wwwlehre.dhbw-stuttgart.de/~lombardo/spicy_osx.mov

This screen recording was done with the lastest pixman (stable), the latest cairo (stable) and the git clone of spice-gtk of today.

This is my configuration:
./configure --prefix /Users/devel/gtk/inst --libdir /Users/devel/gtk/inst/lib --disable-usbredir --without-python --with-audio=no --with-gtk=3.0 --disable-smartcard --enable-controller --with-coroutine=gthread --disable-werror --with-sasl=no --enable-vala

I tried to keep it as simple as possible. The same guest viewed with a windows client is working like a charm. As I have a need for this client I would like to support this project by optimizing the client for OSX. But at present I have no clue where to begin.

The init function is called from the client.

gtk/channel-display.c
387:    sw_canvas_init();

Since spice-gtk only supports sw canvas atm, there is no facility to
use a different canvas (spicec used to have). You can just try
replacing it at build time, or use a runtime selection mechanism.

Yes - thank you. I found this point before. But I was confused that there is no call prepared for gdi or gl near this.

Any Ideas?

Thank you so much.

Kind regards,
Mario