Re: Opus, alternative video codec and hardware acceleration

Il 01/08/2013 21:31, Jeremy White ha scritto:
On 08/01/2013 07:54 AM, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
Are there news about these things?
- Opus (now stable) implementation and the option to have celt as
optional on compile.
   about celt optional there is already a patch from one debian maintainer.
I, too, am interested in this.  My survey of the archives suggests three
issues.  One, we have to be over our anger at the celt bait and switch
and we have to trust that opus will be stable.

Two, we have a sample rate issue, which I think Gerd summarized best here:
   http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2012-June/009645.html

And, finally, you actually need someone to do the work.  I don't really
have a sense how much work the qemu side would be.  The server code
seems nicely isolated into snd_worker.c.  The client side is likely to
be fairly straight forward as well.

I'm willing to give it the old college try, but I'm going to be out of
my depth and will likely only work in small bursts here and there.  So
if someone else is planning on working on it, I'll cheerfully stop or
shift into a supportive role.

Also, just so I make all of my evil intentions plain, I want codecs that
will work in all browsers.  So far as I know, Opus is not yet supported
in IE.  So I may try to generalize the structure so I could add Vorbis
or mp3 down the road.

Thanks for your reply.
I think that mp3 is a questionably choice since it is not opensource and has some license fees. Actually Opus is the only opensource, royalty-free project and that seems to be very adactive, optimal for both lan and wan. For what concerning IE, unfortunately IMHO is a bad browser, in particular in the implementation of the standards. In the past when I was doing web programming it gave me a lot of problems, so best bet for a good choice of a decent codec is to leave IE concernings at all. Lets focus instead on better implemented web browsers like firefox and/or chrome instead.

Cheers,

Jeremy

-----
Nessun virus nel messaggio.
Controllato da AVG - www.avg.com
Versione: 2013.0.3392 / Database dei virus: 3209/6543 -  Data di rilascio: 01/08/2013