Re: New spice-gtk release?

Hi

----- Mensaje original -----
> I hate to stir the pot a little bit but I saw the thread that Hans
> and
> Christophe talked about the release process and versioning and I'll
> admit I'm a downstream distro maintainer that finds the spice-gtk
> releases a bit of an annoyance. I pretty much have to keep a bookmark
> to Fedora's git repo and just remember to check that for any issues
> crop up but alas that's not why I started this.

I claimed the versioning and current upstream releases are not the issue. However, I agree nobody is maintaining a stable branch in upstream. Why not doing it upstream if it's done in Fedora? And eventually release 0.16.0.N etc.

When there is an official release, it is announced on the ML. I try to keep the http://www.spice-space.org/download.html page updated, as well as freecode. But if I were downstream, I would track http://spice-space.org/download/gtk/ instead with something like debian uscan, as it is more reliable.

> spice-space.org is the version that should be considered stable and
> the versions in between aren't? For reference 0.14 is currently
> listed.

Sadly perhaps, we don't maintain older releases upstream. There is only upstream releases that guarantee no API break. Libraries ABI break may seldomly happen and are announced, and should be soname versionned accordingly, so there is no surprise. Major API break will be the time of a major package version change, so far we have managed to avoid that situation.

There is no written schedule for upstream. We should be able to release any time. So you could either just pick the fix for your distro, or wait for 0.17, or as you are asking, give us a motivation to maintain stable branches upstream and release older versions with fixes.

If 0.16.0.N looks a bit too weird, we can change a little bit versions to use even/odd pattern. Like 0.18.N for stable releases, and odd 0.19.N for unstable. Perhaps Hans and Christophe would be more happy with that?