Re: sparc gcc 7.1 compile issue

From: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 19:50:17 +0200

>> Thanks for the explanation. We're now just disabling cilk on Debian
>> for gcc-7 and gcc-snapshot for the time being.
>
> I just fixed the problem on the mainline and 7 branch:
>   https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2017-06/msg01818.html
>
> The testsuite now flawlessly passes at -j32 for me.
>
>> Ok, I hope that will help the kernel guys to figure out what the
>> problem is.
>
> libcilkrts does low-level fiddling with the stack pointer and threads, and
> overlooked the stack bias in 64-bit mode.  This resulted in reproducible hangs
> for some tests of the testsuite and I guess that a high level of parallelism
> led to a form of congestion somewhere; I'm afraid I can't say more.

Unaligned stack accesses, which is what I can gather was going on looking
at your fix, could point to a myriad of areas where bugs could live.

If somehow the stack pointer itself got misaligned, we could be looking
at a window spill/fill bug or similar.

I'll try to see if I can figure out what might have gone wrong.  It could
simply be a bug in the unaligned memory access trap handler.