Re: sparc gcc 7.1 compile issue

> > All of my testing is being done with gcc-6.3 vanilla and current
> > kernels, and in fact I'm doing parallel "make -j128" gcc and glibc
> > testsuite runs and not hitting any problems at all.
>
> According to Eric Botcazou from gcc upstream, we most likely know the
> culprit now. Eric noticed that the issue occurred within the cilk-plus
> testsuite and by passing --disable-libcilkrts to configure, the testsuite
> finished without problems, even with -j32.

The Solaris maintainer ported Cilk++ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cilk) to
the SPARC architecture for GCC 7 and later, which explains why the issue
doesn't show up with GCC 6.  Cilk++ is a multithreading layer on top of C and
C++ and its testsuite does a lot of thread manipulation.

Note that, even when the machine doesn't freeze, the Cilk++ testsuite reports
several timeouts (there are no such timeouts on Solaris):
  https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2017-06/msg00462.html

This is probably the most promising angle of attack: someone should look into
the timeouts by running the Cilk++ testsuite with low/no parallelism and find
out where they come from (compiler, Cilk++ runtime or system/kernel).  I can
do it, but I'm essentially a compiler guy and I don't have much expertise in
multithreading at the system/kernel level.

--
Eric Botcazou