Re: sparc: deadlock using perf with sched tracepoints and user callstacks

On 4/22/15 5:22 PM, David Miller wrote:
From: David Ahern <david.ahern@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 17:52:53 -0600

On 3/31/15 5:38 PM, David Miller wrote:
What is different in the PowerPC fault path vs. the Sparc one that
causes the SIGBUS for sparc where the PowerPC does not see it?

I don't understand where the SIGBUS comes from.  In a pagefault
disable section on sparc, in_atomic() should be true, thus we'll call
do_kernel_fault(), fall through to the TSTATE_PRIV code path and
simply run the exception handler.

That's what I was hoping someone could explain to me. I'll dig deeper
on Monday.

I've looked a few times at this and can't figure out what might be
going wrong just from visual inspection.  I'll try reproducing the
problem and adding some diagnostics.

All you need is 'perf sched record -g -- make -j 256'

gcc related tasks will start erroring out. Odd that it is mainly gcc and friends getting hit.

I threw a printk into all of the sigbus places under arch/sparc. One that kept triggering is sun4v_do_mna. I was not able to get any info about why.