Re: [RFC] sparc64: Duplicate kernel text on every NUMA node

09.09.2013, 21:31, "David Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> From: Kirill Tkhai <tkhai@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 18:50:00 +0400
>
>>  Before:
>>
>>  real     7m58.466s
>>  user  60m49.660s
>>  sys    47m40.030s
>>
>>  After:
>>
>>  real     7m55.562s
>>  user  60m20.900s
>>  sys    46m36.040s
>>
>>  So, the real profit (system time) is whole 2.2%. I thought, it would be more :)
>>  It seems, it's not big enough to really implement this feature. Practice checks
>>  a hypothesis.
>
> You are juding the suitability of your optimization using one
> statistical sample of a benchmark involving trillions of memory
> accesses?
> Please at least run it 3 or 4 times so you can see how much variation
> occurs between runs in the same configuration. :-)

Yes, I compiled kernel 3 times for every case. Two above are middle results.
Another cases are a little different, but tendency is like above.
The low bound of difference is 2.0+%

I did every test after cold start (and even took ethernet cable out). So, the result
is honest :)

(For comparison: Plain memory access time ratio between own node and its
neighbour is about 1.4 on the tested machine. It looks like instruction cache
has the influence on above result. I don't know what is its influence on machines
of another type, maybe anywhere it is smaller).

Kirill