Re: [RFC] sparc64: Duplicate kernel text on every NUMA node

23.08.2013, 09:23, "David Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> From: Kirill Tkhai <tkhai@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:39:50 +0400
>
>>  There is an idea to duplicate kernel text on every NUMA node. Node
>>  access is the fastest, so this should help to execute kernel text a
>>  little faster.
>
> Interesting change.
>
> What other major architectures do this?

It looks like nobody supports this. I saw an old patch for x86 (https://lkml.org/lkml/2003/6/16/226)
and several others, but they were not integrated. So, sparc64 can be the first.

Other architectures have no as cheap replication as sparc64 has. They must
modify page table top every switch_to(), while sparc64 is free from this thing.
And it looks like they have to flush all instruction cache every context switch.

I'll work on the patch a little bit more and test it in different boundary cases,
before submit it as a ready patch.

Thanks,
Kirill