Re: Kernel panic on FPU instruction without FPU present

Hi David,

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 7:50 AM, David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't think we're going to support chips that lack an FPU,
> sorry.
>
> You can't even run the simplest things like the python interpreter
> without FPU support, the first thing it does during initialization
> is do a floating point square root.

As Joris said, you can compile software to do their floating point
calculations in software - I believe the option is --no-fpu in gcc -
however the entire toolchain needs to be compiled with support for
this.
 - http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Software_floating_point
 - http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/SPARC-Options.html
 - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1018638/using-software-floating-point-on-x86-linux

Also, ignoring the massive amount of work this would take, would it be
possible to handle the trap by hooking into the kernel's soft float
implementation instead?

Personally, I don't see any issue with printing a scary message and
killing the task if it tries to do floating point on a system without
it.

Thanks,

--
Julian Calaby