Re: Kernel panic on FPU instruction without FPU present

On 2013-01-23, David Miller wrote:
> I don't think we're going to support chips that lack an FPU,
> sorry.

Ok, fair enough.
The kernel has explicit support for the LEON3 in several places, and I
automatically assumed that it would aim to support all possible
configurations. But I guess it makes sense to draw the line somewhere,
especially if all other SPARC variants have built-in FPUs.

> You can't even run the simplest things like the python interpreter
> without FPU support, the first thing it does during initialization
> is do a floating point square root.

You can of course still run such things as long as all of userland is
compiled with a toolchain that emulates floating point on compiler
level (i.e. GCC --with-float=soft). This is a fairly normal way to
build software for LEON3.

Thanks, Joris.