Re: Best userland for sparc32?

Hi,

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 3:01 AM, Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 07:07:03PM +0300, Meelis Roos wrote:
>> I have not tested any sparc32 configs since Debian dropped sparc32.
>> However, I do have some hardware that I'd like to put to good use for
>> testing the sparc32 changes (SS10 SP, SS10 MP, SS10 4x100 Ross, SS20
>> (maybe SMP too), SS5 70 MHz stock CPU, SS5 with 170 MHz Fujitsu(?) CPU),
>> SS4, probably some lunchboxes too if I find some big enough working
>> HDD-s (LX, CLassic), ADEE S10Station (SS10 clone).
>
> Better test coverage on sparc32 is very welcome!
> I am sure you will hit some interesting issues...

Once I get stuff working, my SS10 (2x supersparcs), SS10 (2x 100MHz
Hypersparc) and SSLX will be added to the mix.

>> That leads to the question, what is the best userland to compile and run
>> sparc32 kernels? This probably means recent gcc & binutils, and that
>> they are routinely updated. I can ocassionally compile a binutils or a
>> gcc if it has been automated by someone else (like in gentoo), or better
>> use binary packages and update these. And I want to compile the kernels
>> on these machines themselves (as all my tect machines do), to have
>> better testing.
>>
>> So, what distros do people suggest?
>
> My personal setup is simple...
> I used crosstool-ng to build my toolchainbased on gcc 4.5.2
>
> I tested several gcc versions back then and this was the version that worked for me.
> My userland is very simple.
> I have used buildroot to build a rootfs with a minimal set of tools.
> Mostly busybox.
>
> Then I use tftpboot.img to do "boot net" so the image is fetched via tftp.
> This allowed me to keep the solaris image on the disk.

This is what I'm trying to get working with my setup, however at this
point our paths diverge.

I've managed to lay hands on the stage1, 2 and 3 images for the 2006.1
release of Gentoo (the last sparc32 release) and my plan is to get the
tftpboot image running, then use it to install Gentoo on the hard
disks in one box (the hypersparc) and use NFSRoot for the others.

I haven't done much with it recently, and the last time I fiddled with
it I was getting Level 15 interrupts (memory issues) however
OpenFirmware says it's fine, so I suspect a kernel bug.

Thanks,

--
Julian Calaby

Email: julian.calaby@xxxxxxxxx