Re: sparc sun4c support - time to drop it?

On Sun, 6 May 2012, Kaj-Michael Lang wrote:

On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 20:29 +1000, Julian Calaby wrote:
You know, with a few simple hand tools, a replacement battery, and
some knowledge of OpenFirmware, you can fix them.

Yes, I know, I've done it for an ELC once. But I'm lazy :)

I am in favour of dropping Sun4c (and possibly Sun4d but thats a different story) for all new kernels. All of the possible hardware combinations for Sun4c have been covered since 2.2.x and nothing new will happen. Modern kernels need more memory and these machines are all limited to 64Mb or less.

Those who want to keep thse antiques alive should just use the older kernels. BSD is faster on Sun4c anyway due to task swapping issues.