Re: silo trouble with ext3

From: Meelis Roos <mroos@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 09:32:54 +0200 (EET)

> Yes, all files on one partition as a test - on some machines I have
> /home separate, apparently not there. Small /boot becomes full too
> easily (like when bisecting something) and when I need to do manual
> partion setup, I usually just use / without separate /boot. I have
> understood that this should work with ext2 and ext3 in silo. Not with
> ext4 yet - does silo start to fully grok ext4 when you latest e2fslibs
> changes integration is complete?

At the very least a basic ext4 partition with extents ought to
work but is untested by me.  The good news is that I have a special
userland framework I can link the ext2.c file into and use to test
SILO ext2 support without having to reboot or anything like that.

So all I need to do is make some interesting ext{2,3,4} filesystems
and run the userland tester against them.

This reminds me that I need to add some basic code to check the
feature flags in the ext{2,3,4} superblock and make sure we don't try
to mount an FS that uses something we don't support.  In particular I
think sparse superblocks will trip up my group descriptor
calculations.

> Should I try grub2 on some machines too? My museum sparcs are all like a
> big testbed, most do not run anything important and I can do test
> installes too when I happen to have some time.

I'd stay away from grub2 for the time being, I haven't tried it myself in
a very long time.  I was thinking of getting back to it today but someone
installed only 24 hours in a day.