silo fails to build with recent ext2fs libraries

Hello,

Recently I've discovered that silo fails to build with recent ext2fs
libraries. Debian bug report [0] shows the relevant part of the build
log. Someone also reported the same problem on gentoo forum just a few
days ago [1].

As far as I can understand, the problem arises because newer ext2fs
library versions introduced additional symbols, depending on libc
functions not implemented in silo, into the same object files which
contain the symbols used by the second stage. Since linker operates on
object file level, it pulls in these symbols along with needed ones,
then fails to resolve their dependencies because they are not
implemented in silo and we are not linking against libc.

I was hoping that I can create a reduced ext2fs library containing
only necessary symbols, but later recognized that this would require
compiling and maintaining an explicit list of such symbols and their
dependencies, which would be pretty tedious and error prone. I've also
tried pruning the symbols causing the failure from the original
library, however it's not possible in some cases, as some of them are
mentioned in relocation entries. Another option would be to start
linking against libc to work around this problem, but I don't know why
it was not done in the first place, some size constraints perhaps?

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/655897
[1] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6923830.html?sid=74beb3b8188dd2e6f33a39b6503479c4

Best regards,
--