Re: Processor IDs on the Niagara

From: Elad Lahav <elahav@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:26:38 -0400

> Sorry to be nagging about this...
> Maybe I should have provided some motivation in the first place:
> Knowing the processor topology may be of importance to a certain class of programmes. Specifically, I/O-intensive applications (such as a web server), may want to ensure that interrupts are serviced close to the process/thread executing the service. I have run some tests that show that servicing interrupts on a different physical package than the one responsible for the synchronous part of the service can result in very poor performance (for obvious reasons).

The interrupts will arrive at a certain processor, will wake up
the process, and if this happens enough the process will migrate
to that cpu.

We don't migrate interrupts dynamically on sparc64 like other
platforms do (it's too expensive), they stay fixed at their
choosen locations.

> > Niagara T1 is a single "package", with 8 "cores".
> Exactly my point. So why isn't there a single physical package ID for all CPUs under /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/topology/physical_package_id ?

I misspoke here, this is not how I use the topology.