Re: Sparc32 not working:2.6.23-rc1 (git commit 1e4dcd22efa7d24f637ab2ea3a77dd65774eb005)

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 17:45:35 +0200
Krzysztof Helt <krzysztof.h1@xxxxx> wrote:

> It is not DMA I suppose. It does not happen in any specific place. It is easy to trigger by loading
> and unloading the sunlance module, but it hangs linux in other places (init process, console login).
>
> It happens only in SMP. If it happens in the sunlance module it happens in sparc_lance_probe_one()
> (in probing function). I thought it is due to openprom accesses so I commented them out (and put
> hardcoded values there). No real change. It is always in the probe_one method before any DMA is
> started.

I was able to find out that it is definitely prom related. When I removed also prom_node_has_property() call,
there is no bug any more. It locks inside prom_XXX access functions (e.g. __prom_nextprop or prom_getproplen).

The old prom system was working so I think the new openprom patches created this bug.

How does the new system access the prom? Is the old prom lock is taken into consideration?

Regards,
Krzysztof

-